I have the biggest sweet tooth going so when it comes to cupcakes, I'm a bit of an expert. I love experimenting with the flavours (remember my Eton Mess Cupcakes Recipe?) and this time I've been baking Sticky Toffee Popcorn Cupcakes and yes, they are as good as they sound. If you have a little bit of a sweet tooth like me and want a dessert more bite-sized than a full slice of toffee cake, this is definitely for you!
- 130g butter
- 200g brown sugar
- 100ml tea
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons of golden syrup or honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 140g icing sugar and 280g butter
- Toffee drizzle
- Toffee popcorn
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Whisk the butter and the brown sugar together until they're completely combined.
- Add the honey or syrup, the vanilla extract and the eggs and the flour and whisk together until the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually pour in the 100ml of hot tea (make sure you just made it!) and give it a good ol' whisk (this is the part where I like to have a sneaky taste of the mixture hehe)
- Spoon into cupcake cases (this recipe should get you around 24 fairy cake sized cupcakes or 12 large ones) and bake in the oven for 15 mins. They may need a little longer, depending on how big your cakes are so insert a skewer or knife tip into the centre of a couple of the cakes - if it comes out dry they're done!
- While the cakes are cooling you can make the icing. Using the electric whisk beat together the butter and the icing sugar. Add a dash of vanilla extract.
- Put the buttercream on the tops of the cakes (you can neatly pipe it or give it a big old dollop like me if you wish!) and sprinkle a generous helping of toffee popcorn over the top. Drizzle the toffee sauce over (if you're feeling really adventurous you could even make your own!).
And it's as simple as that! Considering I made around 24 of these and they nearly all disappeared within the first day, that's gotta say something right? Let me know if you try this recipe, I'd love to see your recreations!